I posted a recipe for Mish-Mash Casserole (thank you Elektra Q-Tion for the name) and had 1 extra chicken breast in the fridge, so I decided to make a homemade version of Chicken Helper. This is related to my post about Homemade "Hamburger Helper" Casserole. The recipe is as follows:
- 1 cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 can Campbell's Condensed Creme of Chicken soup
- 1 can veggies (sweet peas, corn, or mixed), drained and rinsed.
- 4 oz. of a package of shredded cheese (your choice of flavor)
- Old Bay Seasoning (your choice of amount)
- Tortillas (see comments at the very bottom)
- Boil the water, and make the macaroni according to the instructions on the box.
- If the chicken breast needs cooked, boil it for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the toaster oven to 375 F and oil an 8x6x2 Pyrex casserole dish.
- While draining the macaroni in a colander, pour the soup into the stockpot you used.
- Sprinkle as much Old Bay seasoning into the soup for the taste you want.
- Return the macaroni to the stockpot with soup.
- Cut the chicken breast into bite sized pieces, and put it into the stockpot too.
- Add the can of selected veggies.
- Stir well.
- Pour that mixture into the 8x6x2 Pyrex casserole dish and even it out.
- Place that in the toaster oven for 20 mins.
- Slide the dish out (using oven mitts) and cover it evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Return it to the toaster oven, and bake for another 8 minutes.