Dec 20, 2011

Year In Review

So... since we are "between holidays" (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) and rapidly approaching the end of the year, it sometimes causes some reflections on the past year. And what a year it has been for me.

Jack-o-lantern
Image via Wikipedia
Just over a year ago, I moved out of the house that I lived in for 12 years. Where I installed some ceramic tile floors in the bathrooms, remodeled the basement to create a play room for my son, and carefully tended the landscape. Yeah, I am a bit of a "handyman."

One year ago, on Halloween, I was let go from a company that I worked for, for over 17 years. Trick or Treat for me. More of a "trick" than a "treat." I was put in a psych ward for 5 days because of this, and the company thought I was suicidal. Hee hee, I'm still here. I use my knife on pumpkins instead of my wrists.

Two weeks after I moved out of the house, I was in the hospital for 5 days because of a collapsed lung. Why did my lung collapse? Because I am a tall male and athletic. I was at the set up for a roller derby bout for my league (that I ref for) when it happened. I spent two hours in extreme pain in my chest, but had to make sure they were set up, before I asked to be taken to the emergency room in a local hospital.

Tortilla
Image via Wikipedia


The day before Thanksgiving last year, I went to court to appear before a judge, that signed the papers that ended a 17 year marriage. Happy Thanksgiving Day to me. Ended up putting shaved turkey lunch meat on a couple of tortillas, with slices of cheese as my Thanksgiving dinner. YUM!!!


I spent 6 months without a driver's license (due to my own fault), while all of this was going on. I learned to walk the 4.2 miles between my apartment and the grocery store, with a backpack, to get food and needed items. On the way, I was able to stop at the library to get books and movies to entertain me during my "hiatus from life." It is hard to apply for jobs when you can't drive there to fill out the applications or attend interviews, trust me, I know.



Crock-Pot
Image by What's the rush via Flickr
Okay, enough of the negativity. On to the positive. In the last year, I've had to resurrect the cooking lessons that I shared with my grandparents, hence why there are so many blog entries about recipes, cooking, a Dutch oven, and a crock pot. I've been able to reconnect with my dog, on a more personal level. I've gotten a LOT more tattoos, because I always wanted to get at least one, it is addictive, and I finally felt the freedom do get them. I have 9 now, and am scheduled to get a few more in the next few months. Plus, I know an amazing designer that not only inspires me, but also desires to see them on me.

I guess to "bottom line" it, I've been through a lot in the last year. I've tried to adapt and correct it, and am successfully  overcoming it all. So, stay tuned to the blog to experience my experiences that come from it all...

No comments:

Post a Comment