Jan 30, 2012

How to Store and Travel with a Tie

9 of my 17 ties

I love wearing ties. I have over 17 in my collection now. I learned to appreciate ties by listening to my grandfather, and what he told me was to "store them on a hanger from the dry cleaner (pic at the right) and NOT on a shirt hanger or tie rack, as they will crease your tie in the middle." So, that is how I always have done it. On a hanger from the dry cleaner that has a cardboard tube, 4 per hanger to keep them balanced, and in the closet between a few pairs of pants. But times do change, so should I.

Not only do I love wearing ties, but I worked for a company where I had to travel, and always faced the conundrum of how to pack them in my suitcase without having to iron/press them when I got to my destination. I came across some info for storing and traveling with my ties. It will help me in living in an apartment with limited storage options and assist in packing my suitcase for travel. The best site I came across regarding can be found by clicking HERE. But, since this site was very limited in sharing information, I'm going to share some of my own tips to help you insure success.
Items needed

Items Needed:
  • 1 Tie
  • 1 Toilet Paper Roll (empty of the paper of course)
  • 1 quart plastic bag (sandwich or Ziploc)
  • 1 shoebox (for storing the ties, not pictured)

Recommended Procedures:
  • Use a long table or counter space to roll the tie
  • Start from the LARGE end of the tie, not the small (as shown)
    • Roll from the other end
    • The reduces the wrinkles in the most visible part of the tie
    • Do not fold the tie in half and roll that way, roll the entire length of the tie to reduce creases or wrinkles
  • Roll the tie tightly against the roll
  • Insert into the bag and seal it
  • Place all of your rolled ties into a shoebox for storage in an apartment (not shown)

Personal Tips:
You can fit 6-8 ties in a shoebox in the closet.
When traveling, take as few ties as possible. Pack them in your suitcase surrounded by rolled socks.
Be prepared to use an iron set to "steam" to remove the creases & wrinkles. They do age like we do...

Hmmmm.....I wonder if this will work well for my Italian silk suspenders too....

No comments:

Post a Comment