Jul 21, 2012

Shaving Evolution

When I was a young boy, slowly becoming a man, I had several people that passed on the tradition of how they shaved. And now I have to figure out how I will pass on the tradition to my son.

I was first exposed to "how to remove the peach fuzz" by using a gel based foam, in an aerosol, and a double-bladed disposable razor (without the comfort strip). Yeah, I suffered a lot of razor burn because of that, and it still makes me cringe when Macaulay Culkin applies the aftershave in the Home Alone movie.

Then my grandfathers stepped in. One of them exposed me to the foil shaver and the other to the triple headed rotary. But they both made my sensitive skin feel raw and burned when I was done. Especially on my neck.

A few years ago, I was given the safety razor that belonged to my father. I managed to find the double sided razor blades at the local grocery store (on the peg on the bottom left of the shaving aisle). I went to Lehman's and got a badger hair brush and mug. I use them when I have some time to enjoy the sensations of shaving. Plus, because of the quality of the shave, I don't have to do it every day. I gain a day or two in between.

So where does that leave me today? I use a combination of items because shaving isn't just a task that needs completed, it should be enjoyed too. I grew a beard and mustache, but still have some shaving to do on my cheeks and neck. I use an electric trimmer to keep the beard/mustache under control and occasionally do some trimming with thinning shears. I use the safety razor and badger brush on weekends when I have some time to enjoy the shave. On weekdays or when traveling, I hate to admit, but I use a triple bladed disposable because it is quick.

I'm saving my pennies to one day get a good straight razor. The barber shop that I go to finishes the haircut by using a straight razor and hot lather on your neck. That feels awesome!!! I can only imagine what it would feel like on my face. Stay tuned for an update when I get enough saved up to go back to Lehman's and make it a reality.

Recommended Links

No comments:

Post a Comment