Jun 23, 2012

Coffee - More Important than the Alarm Clock

I mentioned in the Percolated Coffee entry how I make my coffee to enjoy it even just a little bit more than stopping at the coffee shop. Yes, I learned how to perk coffee at a very young age from my grandmother, and I was remiss in that entry to share with you some other suggestions about coffee. So here goes. For the first time ever, I'm going to share with the world a secret family recipe, and some other suggestions about coffee. I'm going to share the recipe as it was orally told to me, this is the first time it has ever been written down.

Ingredients
  • 8-9 cups of water
  • An egg
  • Medium ground coffee
  • Some cinnamon (ground or sticks, it doesn't matter)
  • Saucepan, coffee pot, whisk, and cup
  • Some elbow/wrist grease to make it happen
Directions
  • Put about 6 cups of water in a saucepan, and bring it to a slow boil.
  • Break the egg into a cup
  • Crunch up the shell and toss that in the cup too
  • Add 1/4 cup water to the egg and beat with a whisk
  • Drop 4 TBSP ground coffee into the empty coffee pot, add 1/4 of the egg mixture to that, and slosh it around (save the rest of the egg mixture for tomorrow)
  • If the water in the saucepan is boiling, pour it into the coffee pot (over the egg mixture)
  • Put the coffee pot on a burner, set to LOW and simmer it for for 10 - 15 minutes
Suggestions
  • After it has simmered for 10 - 15 minutes, add 1/4 cup cold water to settle the grounds, or take it off the burner for 10 minutes
  • Pour it through a cheesecloth to filter out the grounds/shells
  • Stick in the cinnamon stick or sprinkle the ground cinnamon to add flavor (saving calories)
  • Drink it, and enjoy, finishes up a well prepared dinner on Sunday like you wouldn't believe
Yeah, there are more suggestions I could make, but I'll save them for another entry... Happy sipping in the morning to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment