Mar 21, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Poem

St. Patrick's Day 2012 is a few days past us, but I would be remiss to not share a poem I came across on another website about the myths about that holiday [link] related to my Corned Beef & St. Patrick's Day post. Below is a poem written by Frances Shilliday that summarizes my entry. Frances was kind enough to grant me permission to publish it on my blog (yeah, I asked permission because as a writer, I can't morally cut & paste to plagiarize someone).


GOOD GRIEF - NOT BEEF!
 

I just want to put something straight
About what should be on your plate,
If it's corned beef you're makin'
You're sadly mistaken,
That isn't what Irishmen ate.

If you ever go over the pond
You'll find it's of bacon they're fond,
All crispy and fried,
With some cabbage beside,
And a big scoop of praties beyond.

Your average Pat was a peasant
Who could not afford beef or pheasant.
On the end of his fork
Was a bit of salt pork,
As a change from potatoes 'twas pleasant.
This custom the Yanks have invented,
Is an error they've never repented,
But bacon's the stuff
That all Irishmen scoff,
With fried cabbage it is supplemented.

So please get it right this St. Paddy's.
Don't feed this old beef to your daddies.
It may be much flasher,
But a simple old rasher,
Is what you should eat with your tatties.


No comments:

Post a Comment