Sometimes the mind wanders, and while walking the dogs the other night, I began to ponder the "history" of the spork, so today I did some "research." I'll summarize it below for some easier reading.
- Spork is the combination of "spoon and fork"
- The word first appeared in print in 1909
- Another name for it is a Foon, a combination of "fork and spoon"
- Almost identical items (terrapin fork or ice cream fork) were first patented in 1874
- The "original" sporks also had a knife edge
- The knife edge was removed for use in schools, prisons, etc.
- See the link HERE for more information about the history
Good luck in finding what fits your eating needs, and SPORK YOU...